Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon August 9, 2004
Mayor and Lobby Group Differ On Police Position
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – A battle of wills is occurring over the search for a new Montgomery police chief. Mayor Bobby Bright is conducting a national search for John Wilson's replacement. Wilson resigned last month shortly after the Alabama Bureau of Investigation began looking into a complaint that Wilson had been driving while intoxicated. Wilson denies the charge. Meanwhile, a citizen lobby group is pushing Mayor Bright to promote Deputy Police Chief Mabel Pierce to the position. Pierce has been serving as interim police chief since late July. Pierce says she has no connection to or knowledge about the group's efforts.