Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed May 2, 2012
Mass. Gov. Slams Ala. And Ariz. On Immigration
Boston, MA – Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick is slamming Alabama and Arizona over their tough immigration policies.
The Boston Globe (http://bo.st/IsVl0x ) reports that in a speech earlier this week at Tufts University, Patrick said the actions of states on the issue have been ham-fisted, self-defeating and even racist. He also calls much of the debate over immigration reform hysterical and poisonous.
He says state political leaders are using the issue to appear tough on immigration but he also blames the federal government for not doing enough to address U.S. immigration policy.
Rep. Bradley Jones, the state House Republican leader, says Patrick was just trying to appeal to Latino voters in the state and should have tried to start a dialogue rather than criticizing people who don't share his views.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)