Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Tue May 25, 2004
Many Health Problems Caused By Lifestyle Choices
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – State health officials say five of the top six causes of death in Alabama are directly related to chronic diseases or diseases of behavior.
They say many cases of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, high-blood pressure and strokes are the result of lifestyle choices. The highest obesity rate is in Macon County, while Greene County had the highest percentage of residents with high blood pressure. However, Greene County also had the lowest percentage of adult smokers.
A recent report finds that overall the prevalence of risk factors and chronic diseases is mostly higher in counties with a large percentage of low income residents. Hale County had the highest overall risk factor.
More information on chronic diseases in Alabama can be found online at the Alabama Department of Public Health's website ... at http://www.adph.org .