Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Fri April 2, 2004
Mail Bomb Sent To Attalla Mayor
By Alabama Public Radio
Attalla, AL – Police are investigating a mail bomb attack on Attalla Mayor Charles O'Rear.
At around 9 o-clock Wednesday night, a bomb exploded in O-Rear's mailbox, and a bomb threat was also made at the Attalla jail the following morning. That threat prompted a search by the Gadsden bomb squad, but no explosives were found. Authorities believe the two incidents are related.
Police Chief Joe Hereford says the mailbox bomb was a mixture of reactive chemicals. The mayor and his wife were in their home and were not injured. Hereford says no hazardous chemical agents involved. He also says the blast was strong enough to cause injury and police do not consider the incident to be an April Fool's joke.
Evidence from the explosion was sent to the state crime lab in Jacksonville for analysis.