Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Fri November 2, 2012
Lowndes County Casino Raided, Machines Seized
The attorney general's office and state troopers have raided an electronic bingo casino in Lowndes County and seized more than 350 machines.
Attorney General Luther Strange said a search warrant was served Friday at Southern Star Entertainment Center in White Hall after an investigation of several months.
The casino opened in March with what it described as legal bingo machines, but Strange said they were illegal. He said cash was seized along with the machines.
No one answered the phone at the business Friday afternoon, and its website said it was temporarily closed.
A nearby casino, White Hall Entertainment Center, was raided and closed during former Gov. Bob Riley's crackdown on gambling halls.
The attorney general conducted a similar raid at Center Stage casino in Dothan in July.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.