Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Wed October 2, 2013
Little Choice Among Companies In Ala. Health Marketplace
Alabamians who are able to get into the new health insurance marketplace website aren't finding much choice.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama is the only insurance company offering individual plans in most counties.
Humana is offering plans in Jefferson, Madison and Shelby counties. A Humana spokesman says the company is concentrating on areas where it has a business presence.
A United Healthcare spokesman says the company is not participating in the individual marketplace initially, but is continuing to evaluate it.
On the small business side of the marketplace, Blue Cross and United Healthcare are offering plans statewide. Humana is not participating in the small business marketplace.
The Department of Health and Human Services says Alabama has the least choices of any of the 36 states with federally facilitated exchanges.
Politics & Government