Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Politics & Government
Sat April 19, 2014
Lights and Sirens around Dothan Nuclear Plant (Just an exercise)
DOTHAN, Ala. (AP) — Officials at the Farley Nuclear Plant near Dothan are telling people not to get excited if they see a lot of law enforcement and emergency vehicles around the plant next week. It's only a drill. Farley official Cheryl Gayheart says the nuclear power plant will be conducting a hostile action exercise Wednesday afternoon along with federal, state and local emergency officials. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission requires nuclear power plants to conduct the exercises at least once every eight years. Gayheart says people may see law enforcement vehicles, emergency vehicles and law enforcement helicopters at the plant and in the community. The Farley Nuclear Plant is part of the Southern Co., the parent company of Alabama Power.