Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Thu February 13, 2014
Legislature Votes To Create Ala. Workforce Council
The Alabama Legislature has agreed to create a council of business executives to advise state leaders on workforce development issues.
The Senate voted 28-1 Thursday to go along with changes the House made in a bill sponsored by Republican Sen. Paul Bussman of Cullman. The bill now goes to the governor for signing into law.
Bussman's bill creates the Alabama Workforce Council. It will be comprised of business and industry leaders appointed by the governor and other state officials, and it will advance the state's two-year college chancellor and state school superintendent on policies and programs affecting workforce development. Supporters said the bill is part of the state's efforts to make sure Alabama has the skilled workers needed to recruit new industries and help existing industries expand.