Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue January 21, 2014
Legislators Push For US Constitutional Convention
Republican legislators concerned about the federal debt are trying to set up the guidelines for Alabama to participate in a state-led constitutional convention.
Sens. Trip Pittman of Daphne and Arthur Orr of Decatur have introduced bills setting up how Alabama's delegates would be chosen and the limits they would operate under if there is ever a state-led constitutional convention called under Article 5 of the U.S. Constitution.
Alabama is one of 20 states that have already voted to support a constitutional convention under Article 5 for passing a federal balanced budget amendment.
Orr and Pittman said an Article 5 convention is likely far away, but it's time for Alabama to lay the groundwork.
House Democratic leader Craig Ford says its' a campaign gimmick to appeal to the tea party.