Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Politics & Government
Fri January 17, 2014
Legislative Overview for Friday
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — A summary of action in the Alabama Legislature on Thursday, the third meeting day of the regular session:
—Approved a bill to create an independent agency to oversee taxpayer disputes. Goes to Senate.
—Passed a bill to raise the threshold where small businesses have to make estimated sales tax payments. Goes to Senate.
—Approved a bill to set a $10,000 threshold for firms to file itemized statements when they pay taxes on movable property. Goes to Senate.
—Passed a bill to allow the state Revenue Department to suspend the collection of any tax if collecting it costs more than the tax produces. Goes to Senate.
—Delayed action on a bill to place new restrictions on lobbying by former legislators.
—Passed a bill to raise the threshold where small businesses have to make estimated sales tax payments. Goes to House.
—House meets at 1 p.m. Tuesday and Senate at 2 p.m.