Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue October 26, 2004
LeeCo Commission Will Not Allow Georgia Trash Into Area Landfill
By Alabama Public Radio
Salem, AL – The Lee County Commission has voted unanimously to not allow 1,000 additional tons of trash a day into the Salem landfill. Commissioners rejected the petition from Waste Away Monday night. The Waste Management subsidiary operates the Salem Waste Disposal Center. It had asked the commissionrs to allow the trash from 15 Georgia counties into the landfill. But County Commission Chair Bill English said Monday night that allowing the trash would increase traffic and reduce the life span of the landfill.