Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed January 23, 2013
The Last Word In Business
Originally published on Wed January 23, 2013 1:45 pm
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
And today's last word in business is: extraterrestrial gold rush.
A company called Deep Space Industries - which sounds like it's a company fm a Mel Brooks movie - anyway, it's planning to start mining asteroids - mining asteroids by the year 2015. The idea is to first send small spacecraft to explore asteroids for minerals like platinum and gold.
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
The founders of Google are backing a separate asteroid mining venture. But there are skeptics who point out that NASA's own mission to extract just two grams of material from a passing asteroid is expected to cost $1 billion.
And that's the business news on MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm Renee Montagne.
INSKEEP: And I'm Steve Inskeep.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC) Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.