Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Mon September 9, 2013
Sky's The Limit For Limited Edition Pokemon Card
Originally published on Mon September 9, 2013 6:25 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
And today's last word in business is: Trading cards.
More than 400 people have bid on a rare Pokemon card on eBay with a buy it now price of $100,000.
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
The limited edition card - a Pikachu illustrator - is one of six in circulation. It was originally created as a prize for those who won a Pokemon Card Game Illustration contest.
MONTAGNE: The illustrator cards are known for being the most sought after non-sports trading cards in existence up to now, selling for $20,000. The seller admits his asking price is high, but so far has already received a bid of $47,000 and there is still nine days left.
INSKEEP: And if you're one of those people saying Pikachu, I have no idea what they're talking about. It's OK, I don't know what I'm talking about either, Renee. And my daughter has these cards.
INSKEEP: Still hard to follow, but it's one of those worlds that people really, really get into.
And that's the business news on MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm Steve Inskeep.
MONTAGNE: And I'm Renee Montagne. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.