Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Fri May 24, 2013
The Last Word In Business
Originally published on Fri May 24, 2013 8:48 am
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
And our last word in business today, quite a tongue lashing for McDonald's. The company held its annual shareholders meeting in yesterday, and when the floor opened for questions, a nine-year-old girl approached the microphone.
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Hannah Robertson spoke loud and clear, saying quote, "there are things in life that aren't fair, like when your pet dies." And she continued, "I don't think it's fair when big companies try to trick kids into eating food."
GREENE: Robertson's mom is a nutritional activist who has been trying to get Mickey D's to stop marketing to kids. And yes, her criticism extends even to the company's mascot - Ronald.
MONTAGNE: McDonald's CEO Don Thompson called nine-year-old Hannah brave and separately said, Ronald is not a bad guy.
That's the business news on MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm Renee Montagne.
GREENE: And I'm David Greene.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC) Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.