Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Mon August 27, 2012
Justice Dept. Monitors Elections In 3 Ala. Towns
The Justice Department announced it will monitor municipal elections Tuesday in Lanett, Reform and Phenix City to ensure compliance with the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
The Justice Department said it is assigning federal observers to polling places in the three towns.
The Voting Rights Act prohibits discrimination in elections based on race, color or membership in a minority language group. The Justice Department said people can file complaints about discriminatory voting practices by calling toll-free 1-800-253-3931.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.