Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Mon August 27, 2012
Justice Dept. Monitors Elections In 3 Ala. Towns
The Justice Department announced it will monitor municipal elections Tuesday in Lanett, Reform and Phenix City to ensure compliance with the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
The Justice Department said it is assigning federal observers to polling places in the three towns.
The Voting Rights Act prohibits discrimination in elections based on race, color or membership in a minority language group. The Justice Department said people can file complaints about discriminatory voting practices by calling toll-free 1-800-253-3931.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.