Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed January 5, 2005
Jury Selection Starts for Scrushy Trial
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Jury selection starts Wednesday in the federal trial of former HealthSouth CEO Richard Scrushy. Prosecutors say Scrushy was behind a conspiracy to overstate profits of the rehabilitation giant by more than two-point-six billion dollars. A jury of 12 people and six alternates will be chosen from a pool of 600 potential jurors. Selection is expected to be finished January 13. Opening statements are set for January 18. Scrushy has pleaded not guilty to the 58-count indictment. His trial is expected to last at least two months. It will be held at the federal courthouse in Birmingham.