Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Wed January 5, 2005
Jury Selection Has Begun in Scrushy Trial
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Security was tighter than usual Wednesday at the federal courthouse in Birmingham. Jury selection has begun in the criminal trial of former HealthSouth C-E-O Richard Scrushy. Authorities say the beefed up security was just a precaution. Dozens of people filled out questionnaires about their knowledge of the case, but court workers would not say how many people showed up today. About 300 people are expected to report in three different groups by Friday. Lawyers must pick 12 jurors and six alternates. The trial could last as long as three months, and opening statements are scheduled for January 18th.