Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon January 24, 2005
Jury Seated for Scrushy Trial
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Opening statements in the Richard Scrushy fraud trial will begin Tuesday. Attorneys selected 12 jurors and six alternates today. The public was barred from the process, but members of the news media watched the selections on closed-circuit television. The former HealthSouth C-E-O faces a 58-count indictment, and Scrushy has pleaded innocent. His lawyers also have asked Federal Judge Karon Bowdre to exclude testimony about the losses HealthSouth investors suffered because of the fraud. They say Scrushy is not challenging the existence of fraud at the company.