Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Prepaid Tuition Plan
Mon August 27, 2012
Judge To Rule Later On Ala. Prepaid Tuition Plan
A judge says he will rule later on whether a new law can be applied retroactively to Alabama's prepaid college tuition plan. Montgomery County Circuit Judge Johnny Hardwick heard arguments from both sides Monday and took the case under advisement. At issue is a settlement the board of the Prepaid Affordable College Tuition plan reached with many participants to pay less than full tuition because of the plan's financial problems. The Alabama Supreme Court ruled in March that the settlement violated state law. The Legislature revised the law in April. Then the Supreme Court told Hardwick to look at whether the new law can be applied retroactively to the settlement. Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
Ala. Tuition Plan