Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Bail Bond Fees
Wed August 15, 2012
Judge Refuses To Block New Ala. Bail Bond Fees
A Montgomery County judge has declined to temporarily block a new state law that adds fees to bail bonds. Several individuals and bail bond companies filed a lawsuit seeking to stop the law, which added a $35 fee to every bail bond. Circuit Judge Tracy McCooey denied a preliminary injunction, but still must rule on other issues in the suit. The Legislature passed the law to provide money for Alabama's court system. The plaintiffs say it infringes on the constitutional right to bail. The attorney general is arguing that the fee is too small to be an impediment Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.