Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Mon March 31, 2014
Judge To Hold Trial On Alabama Abortion Law
A federal judge says he will hold a trial on Alabama's new law requiring abortion clinic doctors to have approval to admit patients to nearby hospitals.
U.S. District Judge Myron Thompson ruled Monday that the trial will address one issue: whether the law violates the due process rights of women seeking abortion. The judge set aside all other issues raised by the clinics that sued over the law and by the state officials named as defendants.
The Alabama Legislature passed the law in 2013. Three of Alabama's five abortion clinics say the law would force them to close if it is enforced. The law has been on hold because of the lawsuit.
Politics & Government