Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Tue May 20, 2014
Judge Hears Arguments Over Alabama Legislator
A defense lawyer is urging a judge to dismiss perjury charges against Republican state Rep. Barry Moore of Enterprise.
At a court hearing Tuesday in Opelika, attorney Bill Baxley said the indictment was vague and improperly constructed. Baxley also questioned if Acting Attorney General Van Davis was legally appointed after Attorney General Luther Strange stepped aside from the case.
Moore's lawyers are seeking to dismiss the charges and to subpoena records about Strange's recusal.
Deputy Attorney General Michael Duffy says the attorney general has the ability to direct a former district attorney to handle a matter. Duffy called the subpoena a defense fishing expedition.
Circuit Judge Jacob Walker says he will rule later.
Government Corruption-Grand Jury
Politics & Government
Special Grand Jury