Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue July 13, 2004
Judge Dismisses Quarry Suit
By Alabama Public Radio
Opelika, AL – A Lee County Circuit judge recently dismissed a suit seeking to block a quarry operation in the county. The town of Loachapoka and several residents tried to prevent Florida Rock Industries from starting the operation. They filed a nuisance complaint against the company in 2002. But Judge Jacob Walker has ruled the complaint is no longer valid because the quarry has been operating for about a year. An attorney representing the town and residents says the ruling is proper. He says residents will file a new complaint in which they also accuse the company of negligence and trespassing.