Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Fri May 16, 2014
Judge Delays Trial Over VictoryLand Casino Raid
The judge has delayed a trial over the state attorney general's raid of VictoryLand casino in Shorter.
Attorney General Luther Strange sought the delay because the gambling expert used by the attorney general's office for at least a decade died recently. Bob Sertell died May 6 in Vineland, New Jersey, from cardiac problems.
Circuit Judge William Shashy signed an order Thursday postponing the trial from June 23 to Sept. 9 to give the attorney general time to find a new expert witness.
The trial is over whether the state can keep more than $223,000 in cash and destroy 1,615 machines seized in the raid at VictoryLand in February 2013. The casino remains closed.