Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Arts & Life
Thu November 29, 2012
Jeweler Refunds About $55,000 Over Football Pledge
An Alabama jeweler says he's refunded more than $50,000 -- and received many smiles -- since Alabama shut out archrival Auburn in their annual football game last weekend.
Jeff Dennis had promised to refund purchases at his Gardendale jewelry store if either team failed to score.
No. 2 Alabama's 49-0 victory over Auburn meant that Dennis owed thousands of dollars in refunds. Al.com reports (http://bit.ly/U4ootq) that he's already refunded about $55,000.
Dennis will give a total of about 300 refunds to customers who shopped between Nov. 16 and Nov. 23, some for purchases of more than $5,000. But unlike most refunds, the customers will get to keep what they bought.
Dennis isn't complaining about the refunds. He says the promotion pushed sales to about three times their normal level.
Information from: The Birmingham News, http://www.al.com/birminghamnews
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.