Most Active Stories
- Medicaid Expansion in Alabama: The Battle of the Five Armies
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- Obama to speak in Birmingham, Medicaid expansion opposition and Alabama bike summit
- Obama visits Birmingham, Medicaid expansion, tuberculosis testing at Homewood High School
- Obama to visit Birmingham, Charter Schools bill passed, Aerofest
Wed September 18, 2013
Jefferson County Approves Budget
Jefferson County commissioners have approved a more than $463 million budget presented by County Manager Tony Petelos.
The commission approved the budget on Tuesday.
WBRC-TV reports (http://bit.ly/18xFyXP) that it includes more money to purchase equipment which has been neglected for years because of the county's money troubles.
The budget will include a 2 percent cost-of-living raise for county workers for the first time in years. Petelos said the county needs to do more to keep workers from leaving.
The budget also includes an additional $3.7 million to allow Sheriff Mike Hale to reopen the Jefferson County Jail in Bessemer.
Information from: WBRC-TV, http://www.myfoxal.com/