Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed July 28, 2004
JeffCo Will Help Fund Local Film Office, Promote Public Relations
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Jefferson County officials are investing 60-thousand dollars in the local film industry. The money will go toward a Jefferson County Regional Film Office. Supporters hope it will attract film projects and the jobs and money those projects generate. The money will be used to hire an interim director to market the city and region. The County Commission voted Tuesday to provide the start-up money. The proposal for the film office came from Academy Award-nominated Birmingham filmmaker Alan Hunter. Meanwhile in other business...the county commission also hired publicity agents Tuesday. Commissioners hired Spina Marketing and Elements Communications Solutions to provide public relations for the county. The two firms will be paid up to 250-thousand dollars. Officials say they'll buy advertising, start a newsletter, do consultations and other creative services. County Commission President Larry Langford says both the film office and the public relations firms will make a good impression on the county's behalf.