Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri October 8, 2004
JeffCo Gets $4 Million in HUD Grants
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – U.S. Senator Richard Shelby has announced that the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development will soon be releasing more than four million dollars in grants for Jefferson County. The HUD grants are part of an effort to help create home ownership opportunities for county residents. More than two-point-five million dollars are from the Community Development Block Grants. Those grants provide housing and economic opportunities for low and moderate-income individuals. Almost 95 thousand dollars will also go to the Emergency Shelter Grant Program to improve the quality and number of emergency homeless shelters.