Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri February 4, 2005
JeffCo Commission, Rogers Struggle Over BJCC
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – The Jefferson County Commission decided Thursday to proceed with an independent study on the expansion needs of the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex. The study will include focus groups to gauge public interest in the expansion and in the resulting domed stadium. The commission plans to vote in March on whether it will formally commit $10 million a year for 35 years to the project. Meanwhile, State Representative John Rogers says he'll introduce a bill to force county funding if the commission decides not to provide the money. Rogers says all bonds will be sold, and all funding will be in place in time to break ground in March on the new BJCC.