Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Tue June 18, 2013
Isn't That King David? Nope, It's Just Dave
Usually they're naked, ancient and stony. But all of a sudden, they could live next door.
The Paris-based designer Leo Caillard had, as he wrote me, "the idea conception" and took the photographs. Alexis Persani dressed them. (Not actually; it was done on a computer, as you can see here. I know that putting modern clothes on classical sculptures isn't a new idea. Michelangelo's David has had "Fridge Fun" modern clothes for years. But the skirts, T-shirts and shorts in these images look so comfortable and fit so well, these ancients torque suddenly into moderns. It's like these two French artists have developed a new way to time travel. Which has me wondering about the reverse possibility: Beyonce, Halle Berry, Leo DiCaprio given drapes, spears and marbleized — could they pass for "ancient" at the Louvre in France?