Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Tax Preparer Test
Mon October 1, 2012
IRS Urges Tax Preparers To Schedule Testing
The Internal Revenue Service is urging the nearly 6,000 tax preparers in Alabama to schedule their competency test now as the exam deadline nears.
The IRS said in a statement Monday that the appropriate test for most of the tax preparers will be the Registered Tax Return Preparer (RTRP) competency test.
The RTRP test has been available since November 2011 and is being administered at 260 testing sites nationwide. However, if too many preparers delay, available seats will be scarce.
Tax professionals who are Enrolled Agents, Certified Public Accountants, and attorneys are exempt from the test, as are certain non-signing preparers and those who do not prepare the Form 1040 series.
More information is available at www.irs.gov/taxpros/tests.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.