Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Truck Collision-Insterstate Closed
Fri May 23, 2014
I-65 Northbound Closure Could Last Until Sunday
The northbound lanes of Interstate 65 near Mobile could remain closed until Sunday following a fiery truck crash.
A spokesman for the Alabama Department of Transportation says engineers are conducting inspections and will make some temporary repairs to the bridge. Officials hope to open at least one northbound lane by mid-afternoon Sunday at the latest.
One person was killed Thursday in a collision involving two trucks on the Wilson bridge north of Mobile. A DOT spokesman says one truck was carrying petroleum products, and the other was carrying plastic products. Both 18-wheelers caught fire.
All northbound lanes of I-65 are closed beginning at U.S. 43, which is Exit 19.
The Wilson bridge spans the Mobile-Tensaw Delta near Satsuma in Mobile County. The bridge is known for its twin towering arches.