Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Truck Collision-Insterstate Closed
Fri May 23, 2014
I-65 Northbound Closure Could Last Until Sunday
The northbound lanes of Interstate 65 near Mobile could remain closed until Sunday following a fiery truck crash.
A spokesman for the Alabama Department of Transportation says engineers are conducting inspections and will make some temporary repairs to the bridge. Officials hope to open at least one northbound lane by mid-afternoon Sunday at the latest.
One person was killed Thursday in a collision involving two trucks on the Wilson bridge north of Mobile. A DOT spokesman says one truck was carrying petroleum products, and the other was carrying plastic products. Both 18-wheelers caught fire.
All northbound lanes of I-65 are closed beginning at U.S. 43, which is Exit 19.
The Wilson bridge spans the Mobile-Tensaw Delta near Satsuma in Mobile County. The bridge is known for its twin towering arches.