Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Truck Collision-Insterstate Closed
Fri May 23, 2014
I-65 Northbound Closure Could Last Until Sunday
The northbound lanes of Interstate 65 near Mobile could remain closed until Sunday following a fiery truck crash.
A spokesman for the Alabama Department of Transportation says engineers are conducting inspections and will make some temporary repairs to the bridge. Officials hope to open at least one northbound lane by mid-afternoon Sunday at the latest.
One person was killed Thursday in a collision involving two trucks on the Wilson bridge north of Mobile. A DOT spokesman says one truck was carrying petroleum products, and the other was carrying plastic products. Both 18-wheelers caught fire.
All northbound lanes of I-65 are closed beginning at U.S. 43, which is Exit 19.
The Wilson bridge spans the Mobile-Tensaw Delta near Satsuma in Mobile County. The bridge is known for its twin towering arches.