Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon January 3, 2005
Huntsville Marks 200th Anniversary
By Alabama Public Radio
Huntsville, AL – Huntsville is celebrating its 200th birthday this year. Planners are already organizing events, and the celebrations will begin when a time capsule is unearthed later this month. The festivities will end August sixth with parades, outdoor concerts, fireworks and the dedication of a downtown water park. Mary Jane Caylor, executive director of the Huntsville Bicentennial Commission, says no one knows the exact month when pioneer John Hunt built a two-room cabin near a bluff overlooking what was called Big Spring. However, records show it happened sometime in 1805.