Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Mon September 3, 2012
Huntsville Gets First Brew Pub Under New Law
The city of Huntsville is getting a taste of a new kind of beer, courtesy of a change in state law.
A new brewhouse called "Below the Radar" is now open in downtown Huntsville. It's the city's first such operation since legislators changed a state law that prohibited selling alcohol at the same location where it was made.
A group called "Free the Hops" lobbied lawmakers to amend the state law. Member Rich Vartain tells WAAY-TV (http://bit.ly/RAPs2J ) about a dozen breweries are now open statewide because of the change.
Charles Winters visited "Below the Radar" after it opened last week in Huntsville. He says he's an amateur home brewer and is inspired by the new brewhouse.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.