Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Politics & Government
Mon September 3, 2012
Huntsville Gets First Brew Pub Under New Law
The city of Huntsville is getting a taste of a new kind of beer, courtesy of a change in state law.
A new brewhouse called "Below the Radar" is now open in downtown Huntsville. It's the city's first such operation since legislators changed a state law that prohibited selling alcohol at the same location where it was made.
A group called "Free the Hops" lobbied lawmakers to amend the state law. Member Rich Vartain tells WAAY-TV (http://bit.ly/RAPs2J ) about a dozen breweries are now open statewide because of the change.
Charles Winters visited "Below the Radar" after it opened last week in Huntsville. He says he's an amateur home brewer and is inspired by the new brewhouse.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.