Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Drug Court Houston County
Mon March 25, 2013
Houston County Launches New Drug Court
Authorities say they hope a new drug court in Houston County will help defendants stay clear of narcotics -- and crime.
District Court Judge Lori Ingram says the recently launched drug court is designed to treat addicted individuals and give them the tools they need to change their lives. The drug court's purpose is to keep people clean so they won't commit crimes.
The Dothan Eagle reports (http://bit.ly/11CEHYx) that 80 percent of criminal offenders abuse alcohol or other drugs. Half of all jail and prison inmates are clinically addicted.
According to the National Association of Drug Court Professionals, 60 percent of people arrested for most types of crimes test positive for illegal drugs at the time of their arrest.
Information from: The Dothan Eagle, http://www.dothaneagle.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.