Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed August 29, 2012
Household Debt : Falling. Slowly.
Originally published on Wed August 29, 2012 12:44 pm
The New York Fed just put out its latest report on household debt. It's a good, quick-ish look at the debt picture for ordinary Americans. Here's the key graph:
* Household debt is overwhelmingly about mortgages.
* Mortgage debt shot up during the housing boom, and has slowly — slowly — been falling for the past several years.
* The decline has been driven both by people paying off their mortgages and by people going through foreclosure. (Actually, that fact is shown by another graph.)
* Also, as you've probably heard: Student debt is rising.