Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Thu May 9, 2013
House, Senate Still Negotiating On AL Gun Law
The main gun bill before Alabama lawmakers is headed to a compromise committee of senators and representatives.
Sen. Scott Beason, the Senate sponsor, says he couldn't sign off on the version that House members passed late last week after reaching a compromise that involved law enforcement leaders and the National Rifle Association.
Beason, a Gardendale Republican, says he wants a few changes to details about when an employee can keep a gun in their car while they're at work, and when a citizen can carry a weapon at public gatherings. The two chambers are in agreement on other provisions, such as making it harder for a sheriff to deny a concealed weapons permit.
After today, legislators will meet just one more day, May 20.