Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri April 16, 2004
House Increases Fees for Budget
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – House lawmakers approved a bill that would raise some civil court fees. It would generate about 21 million dollars. The bill also would eliminate a planned pay raise for judges. The House has passed about 100 million dollars worth of new taxes and fees to fill an anticipated 330 million dollar deficit in the General Fund budget. But lawmakers also have rejected several other proposals to raise taxes, including a plan to raise the tax on prescription drugs. Representative John Knight, chairman of the committee that writes the General Fund budget, says his committee will begin work next week on putting it together.