Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue January 25, 2005
House Democrats Reveal Legislative Plans
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Alabama's House Democrats revealed their legislative agenda Tuesday. It includes another attempt to remove segregation-era language from the state's constitution. House Speaker Seth Hammett and House Majority Leader Ken Guin say Democrats will submit a constitutional amendment exactly like Amendment Two, which voters defeated in November. Hammett says other states are using the defeat to try to lure industrial prospects away from Alabama. The House Democratic agenda also includes a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, prohibition of pass-through pork projects, and limited home rule for counties.