Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu February 19, 2004
House Committee Debates Gay Marriage
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The House Constitution and Elections Committee approved a proposed constitutional amendment that would define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. The amendment also would outlaw same-sex marriages in Alabama. Committee members passed the measure without dissent, but they did have some trouble deciding when to schedule a public referendum. The bill would set the referendum to coincide with the party primary elections of 2006. But Republicans want to change the date to this November. They say the presidential election will draw the largest number of voters. But Democrats say Republicans want to use the gay marriage issue to help re-elect President Bush.