Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Science & Health
Wed January 2, 2013
Hospital Moves Labor and Delivery, Pediatric Units
A hospital in Decatur is moving its labor and delivery unit and pediatric department to another facility this week.
The Decatur Daily reports Decatur-Morgan Hospital is moving the units from Parkway Hospital to Decatur General Hospital to help offer a more unified health system in Morgan County.
Officials say the move will also save the hospital about $100,000 annually, and no employees will lose their jobs as a result of the consolidation.
Hospital officials say about 900 babies are born annually in Morgan County and one hospital can accommodate labor and delivery services.
It is not yet clear what the labor and delivery wing at Parkway Hospital will be used for after the consolidation.
Information from: The Decatur Daily, http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/index.shtml
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.