Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Mon May 27, 2013
Home sales and prices appear up in Central Alabama
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - Home sales in the Birmingham area climbed 9.4 percent in April as compared to the same month in 2012. The analysis includes Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair and Blount Counties. The Alabama Center for Real Estate reports that there 1,064 units sold during April. The median sales price also climbed 17.4 percent, from $138,000 last April to $161,950 this April. With the uptick, sales for the first four months of the year are up 7.9 percent compared with 2012. About 86 percent of the April sales were existing single family home sales; 11 percent were new home sales; 3 percent were condominiums. That distribution is about the same as April 2012. Interest rates for long-term mortgages have been at or near historic lows throughout 2013.