Most Active Stories
- Medicaid Expansion in Alabama: The Battle of the Five Armies
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- Obama to speak in Birmingham, Medicaid expansion opposition and Alabama bike summit
- Obama visits Birmingham, Medicaid expansion, tuberculosis testing at Homewood High School
- Obama to visit Birmingham, Charter Schools bill passed, Aerofest
Business & Education
Wed September 19, 2012
Historically Black Ala. Colleges Get Big Grants
The U.S. Department of Education is awarding millions in grants to historically black colleges in Alabama.
The five-year grants will affect curriculum and teaching programs, campus building improvements and the purchase of scientific equipment.
The department said the Alabama grants include nearly $4 million for Alabama State University, $3.2 million to Alabama A&M University, nearly $3 million to Lawson State Community College, and $2.3 million for Tuskegee University. Miles College is getting $2 million, Stillman College $1.7 million, and Oakwood College nearly $1.6 million.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.