Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Arts & Life
Wed December 26, 2012
High Winds Force Shutdown of Mobile Bay Ferry
High winds have forced the shutdown of the ferry linking Dauphin Island with Alabama's main tourist beaches.
Mobile Bay Ferry operators said they had to suspend service on Wednesday because of gale-force winds.
The National Weather Service has issued a gale warning for the coast. Winds blowing to about 35 mph can churn up Mobile and make ferry operations hazardous.
The service should reopen on Thursday.
The ferry links the eastern end of Dauphin Island with the tip of Fort Morgan in Baldwin County.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.