Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Wed December 26, 2012
High Winds Force Shutdown of Mobile Bay Ferry
High winds have forced the shutdown of the ferry linking Dauphin Island with Alabama's main tourist beaches.
Mobile Bay Ferry operators said they had to suspend service on Wednesday because of gale-force winds.
The National Weather Service has issued a gale warning for the coast. Winds blowing to about 35 mph can churn up Mobile and make ferry operations hazardous.
The service should reopen on Thursday.
The ferry links the eastern end of Dauphin Island with the tip of Fort Morgan in Baldwin County.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.