Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Science & Health
Sat January 26, 2013
Heroin-Related Deaths Rising in Jefferson County
(Information in the following story is from: The Birmingham News, http://www.al.com/birminghamnews)
The Jefferson County Coroner says 57 people died because of heroin overdoses in 2012 and the figure is nearly double the number of people who died after overdosing on the drug in 2011.
AL.com reports heroin was also listed as a contributing factor in five other deaths in 2012.
Authorities say 30 people died in Jefferson County from overdoses on the drug in 2011, which was nearly double the number of people who died from overdosing on the drug in 2010.
Birmingham Police Chief A.C. Roper says heroin may be seeing a resurgence in the area because prescription pill addicts are turning to the drug as pills become more expensive.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.