Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Arts & Life
Mon July 22, 2013
Heavy Rains Lead to Flash Flooding in Birmingham
Authorities say heavy rains have led to flash flooding in several neighborhoods across the Birmingham metro area.
Birmingham police reported that parts of Bessemer Road and Third Avenue North were among areas in the city to experience flooding after heavy rains fell Sunday afternoon.
National Weather Service meteorologist Jim Westland tells Al.com that Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport received 3.17 inches of rain as of 8:30 p.m.
The weather service also reported that heavy rains over three hours resulted in a flash flood of Village Creek in the Ensley area of Birmingham. The creek exceeded its flood stage at 9:30 p.m. Sunday and remained at or above flood stage until 11:15 p.m. Sunday.