Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed December 8, 2004
Hearing Set on HealthSouth Gag Order
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – A federal judge could determine Wednesday if former HealthSouth CEO Richard Scrushy and his lawyers violated a partial gag order. Federal Judge Karon Bowdre in April barred anyone connected with the case from publicly discussing evidence or possible witnesses before Scrushy's trial begins. Bowdre scheduled Wednesday's hearing on possible sanctions after Scrushy's attorney was quoted in newspaper articles. The attorney said that government claims that implicated Scrushy in the massive fraud at HealthSouth were based on lies and inconsistencies. Scrushy was also recently quoted criticizing the performance of the current managers of the Birmingham-based company.