Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri July 2, 2004
HealthSouth Will Close Fairfield Hospital
By Alabama Public Radio
Fairfield, AL – HealthSouth will shut down its Metro West Hospital in Fairfield and lay off about 500 workers. The 85-year-old hospital is the city's largest employer. It's been losing more than half a million dollars each month. HealthSouth took over of the hospital from the Fairfield Healthcare Authority less than a year ago, hoping the new ownership would turn around its finances. As part of the transfer agreement, HealthSouth had pledged to keep the hospital open for at least three years or pay two million-dollars to the Fairfield school system or an area nonprofit group. Company officials announced Thursday that the hospital will shut down September Second.