Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Science & Health
Sun August 31, 2014
Hartselle Seeking Stand-Alone Emergency Room
The mayor of an Alabama community that lost its hospital is interested in pursuing a stand-alone emergency room.
Hartselle Mayor Don Hall told WHNT-TV that his town has lobbied Huntsville Hospital to re-open some form of emergency care.
Huntsville Hospital bought the Hartselle Medical Center after it closed several years ago, but announced it was not practical to reopen the facility. That left Hartselle without a hospital or emergency medical care.
But in Birmingham, state officials have licensed a $13.5 million stand-alone emergency room. Hall said such a facility might work in his community, too.