Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Politics & Government
Sun September 30, 2012
Haikala to Take Federal Bench Monday in N. Alabama
A new federal judge will soon take the bench in Alabama.
New Orleans native Madeline Haikala will start her new job Monday as a U.S. magistrate judge hearing cases in a district composed of 31 counties in the northern part of Alabama. The Birmingham News reports (http://bit.ly/QpmFyA ) that Haikala is the first new magistrate judge in 14 years.
Magistrate judges hear federal misdemeanor cases and conduct pre-trial proceedings.
Haikala attended a school for new federal judges in August. She will head to Washington this week for additional training.
Information from: The Birmingham News, http://www.al.com/birminghamnews
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press